Ten reasons not to let fear prevent you asking questions
- Because understanding is a basic competence.
- Because asking questions helps cognitive development.
- Asking questions is a human right.
- Asking questions are a quest for personal growth.
- Questioning someone is assertive and abusive personalities often shrink when confronted with a direct, polite question.
- Questioning in some jobs can save lives
- Questioning prevents accidents
- Asking questions can change a person’s mind.
- Asking questions can change behaviour
- Asking questions can promote collaboration
I only became really confident asking questions when I became a union rep aged 38. In that role you learn by asking questions, you have to ask questions on behalf of your members. Please don’t leave it as long as I did.